Neigh Savers Foundation, Inc.
Off track thoroughbreds can go on to be successful at any number of jobs after their careers at the track are over. Whatever you choose to do–be it hunter/jumpers, dressage, eventing, trail riding, 4H, barrel racing, polo or pleasure—an OTTB will get you there, giving you their all every time. They are athletic, intelligent and very trainable. All of our horses will need additional training after adoption. We recommend you seek the services of a professional trainer to continue their development. Please be sure you are ready for the commitment an OTTB will take to succeed and thrive.
- Submit an Interested Adopter Form
- Email and Phone Calls with Neigh Savers Representative to Determine Your Needs
- Full Adoption Application – Processing time varies. Applicants will be notified of status via email. To request an adoption application, click here.
- Site Visit with Horse(s) – If a site visit or ride is not possible, then you will be required to pay for a full vet check before being allowed to adopt the horse.
- Adoption Fees – Our adoption fees vary depending on the condition and retraining of the horse. They range from $500 and up. Some horses will have no adoption fee and some that have been retrained as hunter-jumpers or dressage horses will be substantially higher than the average adoption fee. Fees are waived on companion horses, the aged and those facing long rehabilitation. We will discuss and negotiate a reasonable adoption donation amount with prospective adopters.
- Adoption Contract – If the horse proves incompatible with you or is unsuitable for the purpose adopted, the horse can be returned within the first year after adoption if in the same or better condition as when it was adopted. You are responsible for any shipping and medical fees associated with us taking back the horse. After one year the horse may be sold or rehomed, but Neigh Savers has the first right of refusal and must be notified with the contact information for the new owner.
- Transportation – The adopter is financially responsible for the transportation of the adopted horse. Once a commitment is made the adopter has two weeks to move the horse. A daily rate is charged for board after adoption. A Neigh Savers team member will assist in arranging a shipper and shipping date to transport your new horse. A Neigh Savers team member will be at the facility when the transport truck or adopter is scheduled to pick up the horse. The adopter is to notify Neigh Savers once the horse has arrived at the adopter’s facility. If the adopter personally picks up the horse, the trailer must be in safe, usable condition, well ventilated, and be large enough to fit the horse comfortably. Neigh Savers team members have the right to refuse loading the horse if the trailer is not safe or doesn’t meet the minimum height requirement.
- Updates – Adopters are required to send three updates with clear photos during the first year after 3 months, 6 months, and 1 year after the date of adoption. These photos and updates will be used for marketing purposes
If you have any questions concerning the above, please do not hesitate to email or telephone. We look forward to working with you! We also require the applicant to complete an Adoption Application. To request an adoption application, click here.